A drone for children. these models are age appropriate and easy to use
They circle in the air, sometimes fly faster and sometimes slower, rise into the air and then come down to the ground again; drones are not only very popular among adults, but children also love the little quads.
A so-called quadrocopter is an unmanned aerial vehicle that can fly up and down, forward and backward through the air with the help of four side-by-side propellers (which run vertically downwards). Now there is a large selection of different models with and without an integrated camera, but not all of them are suitable for children. The opposite. Under EU enforcement regulations, the minimum age for drones weighing more than 250 grams is 16 years. In addition, they are subject to a labeling requirement and must be registered with the responsible authority. This article explains which models are listed as “toys” and therefore approved for use by children without registration.
These drones are suitable for children and beginners
1. This 191g lightweight drone for kids has three different speed levels and an altitude hold mode, meaning the quadcopter can maintain a certain altitude while flying. According to the manufacturer, the model is suitable for both amateur and advanced pilots. Takeoff and landing are possible with the push of a button, and the mini drone also has an emergency button so that it can land quickly in an emergency. The average flight time is twelve minutes, after which the model must be recharged.
You can buy the drone here.
2. Unlike other drones, this model with its cool motorcycle design can not only fly in the air, but also glide on the ground. It has two different play modes and either takes off vertically or moves straight forward, backward or sideways. The pilot can decide what tricks the mini drone should perform, such as spin and roll. The weight is 600 grams, but the manufacturer labeled the model as a drone intended for children. You can buy the drone here.
3. This drone is significantly more expensive and not without reason. The quadcopter was equipped with a camera that can rotate 75 degrees and has a viewing angle of 120 degrees. This should allow for great aerial landscape shots. When fully charged, the battery can fly for up to 18 minutes at a time, and this model also has a GPS-controlled “Follow me” mode. Designed for indoor and outdoor use, the drone weighs 222 grams and is suitable (according to the manufacturer) for children aged 14 and over. You can buy the drone here.
4. Safety is a priority for this drone. four screws are equipped with a strong protective cover so that your child cannot hurt himself. After connecting the quadcopter, it can be controlled either by hand (approach the drone with your hands and it will fly in the opposite direction) or by remote control. To disable them, simply turn the model upside down. The maximum flight duration is 30 minutes. You can buy the drone here.
5. Made of durable ABS material, this mini drone weighs 200 grams, making it legal for children under 16 years old. It is battery operated and can be operated either manually or by remote control. Thanks to the integrated technology of infrared sensors, the quadrocopter, according to the manufacturer, should react faster when there are obstacles in its path. Other features of the drone include headless mode, 360-degree flip and three speed modes. The maximum distance is 50 meters. You can buy the drone here.
Important safety tips for small drone owners
To prevent the drone and your children from getting hurt while playing, you should observe the following safety precautions:
A pilot must maintain visual contact with his drone at all times
A drone should never fly over people
a fully covered enclosure increased security
The large meadow is an ideal place to fly a drone
Never leave your child unattended with the drone
Note: The article was first published in August 2020
You may also be interested.
This article contains so-called affiliate links. There is more information here.