Microsoft Corp was stunned in a U.S. courtroom last Tuesday by a private consumer lawsuit that said the tech company’s $69 billion bid to buy “Call of Duty” maker Activision Blizzard Inc. unlawfully stifle competition in the video game industry.
The lawsuit filed in California federal court comes about two weeks after the US Federal Trade Commission filed a lawsuit with an administrative law judge to block Microsoft, the maker of the Xbox console, from completing its biggest acquisition in video games.
A private lawsuit also seeking an order barring Microsoft from acquiring Activision was filed on behalf of 10 video game players in California, New Mexico and New Jersey. The proposed acquisition would give Microsoft “enormous market power in the video game industry“, stated the complaint, “with the ability to exclude rivals, limit production, reduce consumer choice, raise prices and further prevent competition🇧🇷
In a statement, the plaintiffs’ attorney, Joseph Saveri, of San Francisco, said: “As the video game industry continues to grow and develop, it is critical to protect the market from monopolistic mergers that will harm consumers in the long run.🇧🇷
The FTC previously said it sued the company to prevent “ Microsoft takes control of a major independent game studio🇧🇷 The agency said the merger would harm competition between rival gaming platforms Nintendo Co Ltd and Sony Group Corp.
Do you want to know more about the news? Don’t forget to follow DNEWS on social networks and stay up to date with everything!
The post Gamers Sue Microsoft To Block Activision Takeover appeared first on ADNEWS.