A few months ago, Microsoft announced that it intended to compete with Google’s Chrome OS on Windows 10 S. The enhanced version of Windows launched alongside the Surface Laptop and was developed for initial use in educational institutions. Built from the core of Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 S aims to be faster, more secure, lighter and with improved battery life compared to its operating system peers. While the standalone release is still a good few months away, Microsoft recently made the newest member of the Windows family available for developers and IT professionals to download and test. The company has now released its own app that lets you test Windows 10 S on your existing Windows 10 devices. If you want to try Microsoft’s latest offering, here you can download and install Windows 10 S on your computer.
Attention : The Windows 10 S installer currently only supports Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro Education, Windows 10 Education, and Windows 10 Enterprise devices. Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 N devices are not currently supported.
Install Windows 10 S using the Windows 10 S Setup Utility
- Be sure to back up all important data and connect your system to the Internet before proceeding.
- download files Windows 10 S installer here and run it. Press the button “Following”continue.
- After you click Next, the system make sure your hardware is compatiblewhich meets the minimum requirements for Windows 10 S. If your system meets the requirements, click the button “Following”continue.
- The installer will now download Windows 10 S files to your system and then it will start installing on your device. You can continue to browse the Internet or perform other tasks on the system. You can just click the “Minimize” button to push the configuration to the background.
- After the setup is complete, you will be prompted to restart your device. Press the button “Restart now”to restart the device.
- Your system will now reboot. After booting, you will be greeted with a blue screen where will begin Law assembly . The system will remain rebooted multiple times during installation. Make sure the system is plugged into an electrical outlet to avoid problems.
- After the installation of Windows 10 S is complete, the computer will restart itself. You will be greeted at installer page, similar to a regular Windows 10 installation, where you’ll need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, sign in to your account or add a new account, and configure other Windows settings. When you’re done, click the button “Following”to complete the installation.
- your system will run now on Windows 10 S Just log into your account and you’re good to go.
Attention : note that as long as your personal data is preserved, all Win32 software and applications and your personal settings will be deleted.
Clean Install Windows 10 S
You can also perform a clean install of Windows 10 S. To do this, you can download files therefore ISO image file Windows 10 S and create a bootable USB port to install it. Remember you have to be MSDN user with a Visual Studio Professional or Enterprise subscriptionwhich costs about $539 per year or $45 per month. Currently, Windows 10 S is in its infancy and is only available to developers. In the next few months, we can expect retail images to become available to consumers. Once they are released, you can download and install them by creating a bootable USB drive.
Windows 10 S changes
Windows 10 S is a direct alternative to Google’s Chrome OS, designed to provide a user experience. Although the environment is similar to normal Windows 10, limited to the Microsoft environment. This basically means that you can only install apps from the Microsoft Store, and for now there is no way to install desktop programs. Also, the default browser is Microsoft Edge and cannot be changed.
In addition, since third-party applications are not allowed, it also causes incompatibility with some drivers as they rely on third-party programs to install. For example, you can’t even install AMD Control Center or NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Also, if you follow the guide above on how to use the Windows 10 Installer, even if your data is retained, all third-party applications will be automatically removed from the system.
Another thing worth noting is that since you can’t install apps from outside the Windows Store, users of Windows 10 S limited to Office 365, which is the only variant of Microsoft Office available in the Windows Store. Users cannot install Microsoft Office 2016 or any other annual version. This is in line with security requirements and reducing piracy. For a better insight into the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 10 S, read our detailed article here.
Do you want to install Windows 10 S on your computer?
While the retail version of Windows 10 S may not be available for a few more months, thanks to Microsoft, you can try Windows 10 S as it is in the guide above. Of course, after using Windows 10 Pro, switching to Windows 10 S will give you the feeling of being trapped in the Microsoft Store. The store itself has a limited number of apps, so there’s not much you can do with Windows 10 S as it is. Thus, the “simplified” version of Windows 10 seems promising in terms of its intention to compete with the operating system ChromeOS and ideally use it in schools and institutes.
Let us know what you think of Microsoft’s latest offering and whether you prefer Google’s ChromOS or Windows 10 S in the comments section below.