How to learn sign language
It is estimated that there are more than 70 million deaf people in the world. Sign language is a natural language that deaf or hard of hearing people can use to communicate.
In the next article we are going to tell you how you can learn sign language and implement it in practice in an optimal way.
What is sign language?
Deaf people have adopted sign language as part of their everyday life, to be able to interact with their entire social environment. It is a completely natural language, known in Spain as LSE, consisting of various gestures and visual expressions. Gestures are also tactile, which facilitates communication between deafblind people. Today, sign language is used by millions of people around the world, which is why it is so important.
Why is learning sign language important?
Although it may seem the opposite at first, deafness should not be a limitation to a person’s proper development, not on a cognitive or emotional level. Learning sign language is very beneficial for someone with deafness, apart from the development that can be both at home and at school. In the case of deaf children, they can quickly learn sign language because it is completely natural and visual. In this way, LSE becomes something essential in the daily life of people with said hearing loss, because it allows them to communicate with other people and feel that they can live as normal a life as possible.
Where can you learn sign language?
Like most languages, sign language has several levels depending on the level of difficulty. In particular, sign language has four levels: A1, A2, B1 and B2. When learning this type of language, a person can choose to attend one of the official courses, either in person or online, or do it freely by following the various tutorials that exist all over the Internet.
Regarding the face-to-face courses, it must be said that there are several centers all over Spain where you can learn the language. The course can be completed face-to-face, mixed or remotely. The advantage of these courses is that the person can interact with other deaf people and practice the language in an optimal way.
If you choose online courses, There are two really valid and suitable possibilities:
- Signocampus is a platform for learning sign language either on a computer, mobile phone or tablet. On this platform you can find courses according to different levels. Enrolled in some of these courses have access to thousands of activities and videos to help them improve their language.
- Signame is another platform created by subject matter professionals and its goal is to remove the various barriers that exist in the world of deafness today. Thanks to this platform, people can learn sign language comfortably and at their own pace.
Another option as valid as the previous ones and well followed today is learning sign language freely Via Internet. On Youtube, you can see numerous tutorials that will help you master the said language without any problems. Then we will talk about some of the most profitable channels:
- In infosordos You can learn good sign language vocabulary and put it into practice in certain areas of everyday life, such as at work.
- Another really interesting channel are Sign language lessons. Apart from learning the vocabulary of the said language, you can learn other things like facial expressions.
- easy LSE is another one of the best channels on YouTube that can help you learn sign language. This channel has numerous videos to help you create different verbal forms.
In addition to YouTube videos, you can find on the Internet good bunch of websites where you can learn sign language:
- CNSE Foundation It has a large number of pictures and signs that you can download and learn.
- Website Aprenderlenguadesignos.com It is perfect and ideal when you are looking for study material and improving your language.
- The last recommended website is LSE in the Classroom. On this page you will find a large amount of material for initiation in children’s language.
Advantages of learning sign language
There is no need to dwell on the fact that sign language is a way of communication between the deaf or hard of hearing. Knowing sign language has many advantages, for both deaf and hearing people themselves:
- Sign language is visual, so it helps to develop both perception and field of vision about that person.
- It has been shown that sign language can help a person improve your artistic skills as with music.
- Problem-free processing of sign language can help a person improve the level of communication. A person who normally uses sign language is a good communicator and has good social skills.
- Good use of sign language has huge benefits for brain health: improves memory, mental agility and understanding.