The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in KwaZulu-Natal says the state is ready to proceed with the trial of former eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede and 21 other accused in the Durban High Court.
They face charges including fraud, corruption, money laundering and racketeering in connection with an alleged irregular auction of solid waste in Durban in 2017.
The trial was due to start on Monday but was postponed until August.
KwaZulu-Natal National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Natasha Ramkissone-Kara says: “The state is very much ready to proceed. We have been ready since February. Apparently the pre-trial proceedings that took place last month [June]the state was all systems go. [However,] when we reached the court we found that some of the representatives of the accused were not there.
“[They were] we were also not given the means to proceed, with that in mind we had to adjourn the matter until next week for another preliminary conference. Hopefully between now and then the various lawyers who have raised these issues will have ironed out the funding issues and we will be able to move forward,” says Ramkison-Cara.
SABC reporter Vusi Khumalo spoke to Gumede’s supporters ahead of her court appearance on Monday: