Gauteng Police have launched a manhunt for a suspect in a brutal rape and robbery in Krugersdorp on Thursday 28 July.
Three arrested over KRUGERSDORP rape
A production company was attacked by a group of armed men while filming a music video in the village of Krugers Dorpsey, according to police.
Eight of the victims were allegedly robbed by the suspects before they were robbed.
“Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Elias Mavila has mobilized maximum resources to track down the perpetrators. Police have registered cases of rape and armed robbery,” a spokesman said.
Earlier on Friday, Police Minister Bheki Cele revealed that a 19-year-old woman was allegedly raped by 10 suspects.
The music video was shot in an abandoned mine. According to Cele spokesman Lirandzu Themba, the wanted suspects are illegal miners.
“Police are looking for a total of 20 men. Three of them have been jailed,” she said on Friday afternoon.
On Friday, President Cyril Ramaphosa ordered Cele and law enforcement agencies to hunt down the suspect. The ANC gathered in Nasreq, Johannesburg, for the party’s sixth national policy meeting.
As previously reported, Ramaphosa said: “Communities across the country are living in fear. What I just heard from Comrade Bheki Cele about the West Village [in Krugersdorp]… is a manifestation of how gender-based violence spreads. This conference has to come up with ways to support women. “