Police Minister Becky Chele said three suspects, who are foreign nationals, had been arrested in connection with the gang-rape of eight young women during the filming of a music video in West Village, Krugersdorp, on Thursday.
The police are investigating cases of rape and armed robbery. The production company was attacked by a group of men during the filming of the video and robbed of their belongings.
Speaking at a media conference outside the African National Congress (ANC) political conference at Nasrec in Johannesburg, Cele says the suspects are believed to be foreign nationals mining illegally.
He said: “Eight women were raped, one woman was raped by 10 men who traded against her, another was raped by eight men and another was raped by six who were between the ages of 19 and 35. All the women were robbed, some of the suspects were arrested and the police were instructed not to return without them in any form.
GBV in the spotlight:
The scourge of gender-based violence
ANC President Cyril Ramaphosa reacted to the brutal rapes, calling on delegates at the party’s political conference to firmly address the scourge of gender-based violence.
Ramaphosa says he has instructed the police minister to leave no stone unturned and to bring to justice all suspects who abuse women.
“A significant challenge facing our country today is crime and violence. Communities across the country live in fear. They are worried about crime, gangsterism, rape and murder. Women and children are particularly vulnerable to violence perpetrated against them by men. We have directed the Minister of Police and the law enforcement agencies to immediately address this to ensure that the perpetrators are apprehended and dealt with.