US says FIFA will receive another $ 92 million in compensation from corruption investigation - SABC NewsEnglish 

US says FIFA will receive another $ 92 million in compensation from corruption investigation – SABC News

FIFA, the governing body of world football, will receive another $ 92 million in compensation for losses suffered by global football corruption schemes, the US Department of Justice announced on Thursday.

In August last year, the department said that FIFA would receive $ 201 million in compensation for losses.

The money was seized from the bank accounts of former employees who participated in the schemes, and then pursued after an investigation into years of corruption in world football.

“This distribution of approximately $ 92 million in compensation for losses underlines the importance of confiscating assets as a critical tool in this endeavor,” the Justice Ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

The continental confederations of FIFA CONCACAF, which manages sport in North and Central America, and CONMEBOL, which monitors South America, were named among the victims in a statement from the Ministry of Justice.

Since the department uncovered the corruption investigation in 2015, more than 50 physical and corporate defendants from more than 20 different countries have faced charges, according to the Justice Department, largely of bribery and bribery related to media rights. and marketing.

“There was a tremendous amount of money flowing between corrupt employees and businesses in this massive scheme,” Michael J. said in a statement. Driscoll, assistant director of the FBI’s field office in New York.

“It is gratifying to know that the assets seized from the criminals involved will be distributed to groups in need of money, one specifically focused on education and the protection of football for women and girls.

Related posts

Leave a Comment